Here are this week’s Growth Group questions based on Matthew 4:1-11. And remember, if you were not able to be in the service on Sunday, you can listen to the sermon at the Immanuel Bible Church website.
Striving with you to “grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ” (2 Peter 3:18).
GROWTH GROUP QUESTIONS FOR WEEK OF OCTOBER 23, 2011
- In the preface to The Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis wrote: “There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them. They themselves are equally pleased by both errors and hail a materialist or a magician with the same delight.” What did Lewis mean? What was he trying to guard against?
- In what ways might we underestimate the devil? Overestimate?
- Why is it biblically inaccurate to say that God and Satan are in a cosmic battle among equals?
- In each of the three temptations how did Jesus win the victory?
- How did Satan try to get Jesus to distrust the Father’s will and power to provide for Him? In what way(s) have you been tempted to distrust God’s loving care for you?
- What does it mean to presume on God? What example was given from Romans? (Cf., Romans 6:1-2; 3:8)
- What is an “idol”? In what ways have your been tempted to “make a deal with the devil” to get short-term glory?
- What is the great news for us about Jesus’ victory over Satan in the wilderness and, ultimately, at the cross?